Thanks for the additional advice, much appreciated! Another thing I should note is that I really never got around to “automation”, other than some simple experimentation. In fact, the only event that was ever implemented long term was turning off/on outside lights at sun rise/sun set. So, at least from that perspective, there isn’t much loss or rework to do. The number one use case is allowing my wife to turn lights on/off remotely using HA iOS app. I’ve taught her how to do this via VPN to the home, and have also used the Nabu Casa Remote UI option too, which is arguably less secure, but I wanted to support the project. I digress. It sounds like the work in front of me is:
- getting z-way installed
- getting the correct UZB firmware installed
- walking the house and migrating each light switch
- setting up the integration between HA, homebridge, and z-way
- (future) research and make use of the extra razzberry and/or aoetec to create some sort of fault tolerance. (Maybe even mod the razzberry with external antennas).
- (future) figure what to do with the Vera plus...use it as a personal HW hacking project, factory reset and sell on eBay, or donate to someone who is still fighting for that cause.
- (future) pick up a mini-pc to replace rPI’s for a more robust setup. My Plex setup is running off an older i5 NUC, which I’ve considered upgrading, but it would be overkill if repurposed for this task ... I’m going to need something centrally located.
I’m happy to have found this forum, look forward to jumping back in to things, and hopefully I’ll be able to help the next person that gets “stuck” like me.
All the best,