(Last Updated: September 13, 2020)

zwaveserial

• Never posted this on the vera forum but...
    Did you know about this?

The vera has a very powerful zwaveserial API program in the firmware. Take a look at what it can do:

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.29.50.png

It is what the UI calls to interface with the zwave dongle.

• Hi @rafale77, thanks for sharing this, this is good info to know..

Not only do I have a VeraPlus with an external USB Z-wave module, (as the onboard zwave chip failed), I’m also exploring a ‘Serial Server’ where I would have multiple usb/serial devices connected that can then be shared with any number of HA controllers you want to run.

Based on this and anything else you know, can you mesh/sync multiple z-wave modules?
    (I’ve specifically used the term module and not controller, as I assume the latter is the software that works behind the modules) ?

• @parkerc

Not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do in meshing/syncing multiple z-wave modules.

The modules can talk to one another through zwave for sure but I think you are rather looking for a controller which can control multiple zwave dongles. If such is the case, I so far do not know of any controller which can do this natively. What you can do though is... use openluup with multiple controller instances and bridges which is already what @akbooer is doing.
    This makes sense with you have multiple zwave networks in physically separated locations which don't interfere with one another and want them all centralize within one controller.
    As I found out through my analysis, it makes no sense to have multiple colocated zwave networks as they will interfere with one another causing reliability and performance issues. People have done this only because the vera problems with larger networks were even a bigger problem and used this as a workaround but it is really unnecessary under normal zwave condition.

So technically you could have multiple zwave dongles running in different locations all bridged through multiple instances of z-way bridge or verabridges. I don't know if z-way-server can control multiple zwave modules within one instance... From the look of it, it theoretically could but I never tried.

• Homeseer can do this without interference.
    I had multiple Z-wave UZB's Pi mounted all connected by ser2net to the Primary HS Controller as a test, the physical limit is over 200.
    No bridge required, just as many RasPi (and UZB's) as you need (or want). Other protocols may require a Converter.
    With HS you can add Interfaces for many protocols - HS wan't designed as a Z-wave box, rather as a HA controller which would accept multiple interfaces - that's the beauty of HS, it's a semi profesional system without the $$$$ price tag.

• @Black-Cat

Don't think we are talking about the same interference...
    I am talking about z-wave RF interference which will happen if you have collocated z-wave networks. You may just not know it but it causes retries and CRC errors in frames which the zwave chip has to deal with, often causing latencies and worst case, completely lost frames. It has nothing to do with the controller. It is the nature of z-wave.
    What you are describing... is what openLuup does as well along with home assistant etc. Nothing special about HomeSeer... It is just picking up the various serial ports and utilize them within their own plugins.